Monday, August 9, 2010

Scaredy Cat

Sometimes when you're phobic you miss out on some fun things, like the Harry Potter exhibition at the Science Centre. The Dude and I were going to go. I was so jazzed about it. I wanted to get sorted by the sorting hat.

But I was concerned. See, there's that mofo big-ass arachnid in the second movie. I've never actually seen it. I've always covered my eyes. But I was nervous it would be there. So I asked the Dude to call on my behalf to ask.

Dude: Hi, I was wondering if I could ask you a question.
Science Lady: Certainly, sir.
Dude: Well, I was going to come to the Harry Potter exhibition today and, uh... hm... well, my 5-year-old daughter is terrified of spiders.
Me: (Ass!)
Dude: (Smirk)
Dude: Is there any spiders at this exhibition?
Science Lady: I don't know... let me just check for you, sir. One moment.
Me: (Your daughter?)
Dude: (Better than saying my adult girlfriend needed me to call.)
Science Lady: Sir?
Dude: Yes?
Science Lady: Yes. Yes, there is. A big one.
Dude: Oh... Okay then, thanks. Appreciate it. (To me) Well, Jendra...
Me: Oh fuck.

Every now and again someone suggests I get cognitive therapy to deal with this phobia. You can de-sensitize yourself in hours. Thing is I'm too scared to be faced with my fear. Go figure. Maybe I just need a few more disappointments to make me ready.

1 comment:

  1. Aw... that is disappointing. How did you even READ the second book? Those spiders even made MY skin crawl.

    Also, I am all for the cognitive therapy.

    ReplyDelete