Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Le Planning, she begins

So now it's the aftermath of the initial engagement shebang stuff. Friends and family were called, texted and told in person and the almighty Facebook status was changed when we were done. All wanted to know when and where. Namely, family wanted to know if we'd be doing it in our mutual hometown.

It's a reasonable question, but it's not going to happen. I'm not planning a wedding in another city. No dice! I'm also not going to be planning a budget-blowing extravaganza.

The Dude and I hammered out a guest list and budget this evening. Budget aside, we're looking at 105 people-- no kids. Yeah. I know. But that would be an extra 17 guests and I think that many small ones running around, most of them under 6 years old, would prevent me and others from being able to relax and have fun. My family tends to be paralyzed with inactivity when the little ones are around, so I don't think that would be a good time for anybody.

A number of people might wind up staying home, but we would understand. You can't expect parents of youngin's to be available to do everything. Though I'm not looking forward to having to explain to some disappointed parents that we can't accommodate their kids. Cross that kinder bridge when we get to it.

This blog is adding yet another holy-crap-I'm-getting-old factor to it now, but not something I want to take over the entire thing. There's only so many things of interest you can wax poetic on about wedding planning and there's 11 months to go. So I'll be keeping it mixed up, and having posts that have nothing to do with wedding anything. I have about zero interest in becoming a Bride. Yeah, see I capitalized the "B", as in the word "bride" becomes a title and hence an identity. Not me. I be a small-b bride, yo. Hell, I've already found a wedding dress under $200 I want to order online.

I know a lot of women turn planning a wedding into a hobby, and then when it's over they have little left to do and then they feel like, "now what?" There is actually a term about getting the blues about it. I don't know it offhand, and I don't want to know. I don't want to invest too much of who I am or my energy into a one-time party. I think the Dude and I spend our time better when we discuss what sort of marriage we'll have or how we'll raise our children or manage our finances.

So, here's me being all adult 'n stuff. If I keep this up, I may have to start regressing. I still have my stuffed goose around here somewhere. But that's a story for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment