Monday, January 4, 2010

La fatigue

My kingdom for regular, normal sleeping patterns. I envy people who can fall asleep simply by resting their head down on a pillow. I've never had that ability. I wish I did. It's almost 2:00 a.m. now and I'm tired, but not sleepy.

The Dude is asleep beside me on the couch, Smokey is likewise in dreamland and I'm on the internet. I think my natural rhythms are funky. Back in college I had a summer job that had me up at 6:00 a.m. I was a chamber maid and the days were arduous and unforgiving (and gross). I'd be hopelessly exhausted by the end of my shift. I'd still go to bed at 11:30 or so. And once the job was over, I reverted to my 1:00 a.m. or later bedtime within days.

When I first started my job I worked the evening shift for three months, 4:00 to 12:00. I'd get home around half past midnight and stay up till 4:00, sleep in till noon and essentially live in a social-free fog where the only benefit was always being well rested.

I need to work on Tuesday. How I'm going to shock my body awake for my shift, which takes place at a decent hour, 8:00, is a concern. I'm thinking mega cups of Joe. Like, epic coffee consumption. Maybe I could induce a sugar/caffeine crash to coincide with midnight tomorrow. Maybe I'm screwed and my first day back is going to be utter ass.

Blargh.

Perhaps I'll throw on a subtitled movie. Those tend to knock me out late at night.

Sigh. Le sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment